Thursday, March 25, 2010

Toxin's Lipstick... [Huge post, image heavy]

Hi everyone!
Just a quick little post to show you what I got in the mail.

First off, yes I know about the drama. No, I don't really care. I bought these on eBlah-y. I've heard A LOT of reviews that say these are either AMAZING or AWFUL.
I went with the two colours that a) I would probably wear and b) seem to have fared better in most reviews.

What am I talking about?


Yup. I did it. And yes they look like sex toys... I showed a girl at work today (HAHA ME AT WORK *dies*) and she was frightened. The poor girl had no idea what I was about to do when in the bathroom I pulled it out of my handbag for a touchup. She was very relieved to find it was only a lipstick.




These are the two I got, Retrofuturist and Styletto.

Surprisingly, I like them! I have issues with lipstick, usually being that I forget that I have it on and wipe it all over my face or eat it off so it's patchy. Also, I can't get kisses from Jai. I wore the red to work, and it really is red. I have Urban Decay's "Jezebel" (discontinued) which I always thought was a kablam red. This is my new kablam red, it really is a true red, very bright with no blue or orange undertones.

Now for my review of these...


Retrofuturist.
First off, I was a little disappointed.
The colour was great, packaging is... sex toy-esque, and yes, they kinda smell like MAC, but my issue is that it was slightly busted before I got to try it on.
When i opened it i wound it up very very carefully as I've read a few reviews where Retrofuturist is broken, and didn't want it falling on the carpet in case that happened with my tube, it wasn't broken off, but it did have a mark on the side.
The first time putting it on I noticed it was wobbling a hell of a lot. After taking it to work today it sweated a little and seems to have gone melty at the bottom.
I've used it twice now and it's pretty much broken off at the bottom.



So now I apply it with a lip brush while it's only wound up a teensy bit, allowing me to be much more careful.
The pics above are done with a brush, blotted, then applied from the tube.
The colour ends up the same either way, though this little guy stains quite a bit.

(After almost 15 hours I took it off... to find this.)



It's not as drying as I've read, and has a semi-matte texture. It stays really well without annoying me, if any lipstick feels gunky I can't forget I'm wearing it and usually end up taking it off after 5 minutes. I wore this all day (from 7.30am until 10pm - minus taking it off to swatch Styletto) and only reapplied 4 times including the swatch above.

It's really soft feeling, not chunky, not dry, not glossy, not goopy, awesome colour and overall, I like it. I'm not completely convinced about Lime Crime's other colours, the swatches look really either really patchy or like they're wearing the entire tube or photoshopped, though from my experience, even with the melty/breaky/staining formula, I think I'd buy it again.



Styletto
Sorry for my wonky application on this one!
Black is hard to do perfectly, whether it's eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow or lipstick, and if you stuff it up, it's screamingly obvious.
This one was pretty good. When I first opened the tube it was picture perfect, now the side has a mark just like R.
It feels soft and creamy and kind of "light" compared to most other dark lipsticks, but you can still feel that it's there.
This is a true black that fades out to a grey - not a purple.
In the pics above it doesn't look that way - that's because I wore Retrofuturist all day and it stained my lips, so that's the red tones you can see above.

Here's a swatch picture on my hand to prove it.


This one stains too, as you can see below.
I had this on my hand for long enough to set up the photo above, snap it, then find a paper towel.


Okay, I have a confession.
This is my first ever black lipstick.
I was always afraid of looking like a goth kid using halloween makeup or a juggalo.


Not what we want... so I avoided it. Sure I had dark purples and deep dark colours that were *almost* black - but they weren't. So I finally took the plunge.
You know what? I'm glad I did.
I love it.
It's severe, and at the same time I think it looks good, not teenager shoplifting from a halloween store at all. I mostly bought it for photoshoots, but I think I'd happily wear it out clubbing. Maybe not to work...

Black lipstick is becoming more mainstream, MAC did it with their Style Black collection (from which I got two liglosses) and Catwalks are going mad with it.
When I took the shot of Styletto on, the shape of my lips reminded me of this:


Unfortunately what I was going for was more of this:


So all in all, Lime Crime, you have a goth's black lipstick cherry.

Love,
Photobucket

Disclosure & License





Creative Commons License
This work by Toxin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.

This policy is valid from 24 January 2010 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations. The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
Get your own policy here.